Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued/reviled/saddened/angered/surprised/ you?

The Peace Child was a fun and interesting read for me because I learned so many things that I never knew before. I knew there were still primitive tribes in the world but I thought that they had at least some modern influence. The fact that the Sawi knew nothing of the outside world and valued things such as treachery intrigued me. What led them to value this? Who or what brought them the idea? When I learned that they practiced cannibalism, this surprised and angered me at first but then I started wondering the same thing; What led them to do this? It must have a deeper meaning.

The scene where the peace childs' were exchanged was a sad and touching part of the story. The screams of the mothers show how much they care for the young. The different kinds of susperstitions they believed in were also fascinating. The evil beasts and spirits in the river was odd, and it would be fun to listen to how those kinds of things originated.

No comments: